Gifts From Home for the Holidays
(NewsUSA) – If it’s truly better to give than to receive, why not give more than gifts from the store this holiday season? Home-baked treats are the perfect way to warm a heart and satisfy a sweet tooth for the people on your “nice” list.
“Take a break from the hustle and bustle of holiday shopping, and spend a pleasant day in your cozy kitchen making home-baked gifts, like little loaves of Chocolate Hazelnut Fruit Bread,” said Martha White® baking expert Linda Carman. “Giving someone a homemade gift is special because it’s a priceless gift of your time.”
To make your gift even more meaningful, consider pairing the mini loaves with a wooden cutting board, a spreader and a small butter crock filled with a homemade spread that’s delicious and easy to make.
Chocolate Hazelnut Fruit Bread
- Crisco® Original No-Stick Cooking Spray
- 2 (7.4 oz.) pkgs. Martha White Chocolate Chip Muffin Mix
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup mashed ripe banana (about 2 large)
- 1 cup fresh cranberries, coarsely chopped
- 3/4 cup chopped hazelnuts
- Orange Butter and/or Chocolate Hazelnut Spread, optional (below)
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Coat bottoms only of four 6 x 3 1/2-inch foil loaf pans with no-stick cooking spray. Stir together all bread ingredients in large bowl until well blended. Divide batter among prepared pans.
- Bake 40 to 45 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pans 5 minutes. Remove and cool completely on wire rack. Wrap and store in refrigerator. Serve with Orange Butter or Chocolate Hazelnut Spread, if desired.
Makes 4 small loaves
Orange Butter: Beat 1/2 cup softened butter in small bowl with electric mixer at medium speed until light and fluffy. Beat in 1 teaspoon grated orange peel and 1 tablespoon orange juice. Store in refrigerator. Bring to room temperature before serving. Makes 3/4 cup.
Chocolate Hazelnut Spread: Grind 1 1/2 cups toasted hazelnuts and 1/4 teaspoon salt in food processor until very fine and getting creamy. Add 1/2 cup powdered sugar and 1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips, melted. Pulse until blended. Store in refrigerator. Bring to room temperature before serving. Makes 1 cup.
Crisco is a trademark of The J.M. Smucker Company.